Friday, March 18, 2011

Virginia Law Weekley's Dan Gocek on Above the Law

Dan Gocek at Virginia Law Weekly has an interesting rant on Above the Law:
What I dislike about Above the Law is its penchant for encouraging distaste and resentment between various groups of people, such as students from different schools or those with jobs and those without. This can be seen in posts such as their “Douchiest Law School” competition, in which students presumably with very little knowledge of schools other than their own vote on which law school they think is the “douchiest.”
...
[A] large percentage of the posts on Above the Law displaying this sort of ignorant obnoxiousness seem to be penned by Mr. Mystal, who, in another post, claims that he and his wife’s combined salary of nearly $250,000 does not provide him with enough money to buy a decent computer. Although I’m normally not very sympathetic to those who complain about money troubles while simultaneously admitting to living “as far above their means as possible”, the idea that Mr. Mystal doesn’t have a 42” Mac desktop on which to write this fecal matter posing as language really brings a tear to my eye.
Encourage you to go and read the whole thing. Great stuff. I don't really disagree with it, and I don't really have much to add.

3 comments:

  1. Hey, Dan:

    When you frickin' graduate from law school, start writing shit about other people. Until then, shut the F up and hit the books.

    Prick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for commenting, Elie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a nice summation. I give credit to Elie for (occasionally) writing about the law school cartel, and for pointing out the problems at TTTTs on ATL - a site geared towards Biglaw types and Biglaw wannabes. However, his writing skills are sub-par. Especially for a Harvard law grad.

    I was also disgusted with him bitching about how he cannot make it on a combined $250K per year. If you make that much, you should be able to live in San Francisco or afford to have children.

    ReplyDelete