Monday, March 14, 2011

Quinnipiac to Retain Felon Administrator

Yesterday, I reported on Mary Ellen Durso, who, despite being found guilty of fraud and tax evasion to the tune of $126,000, was only getting three years of probation.

Today, we find out that Mary Ellen Durso will get to retain her job as Registrar and Dean of Academic Affairs.
Mary Ellen Durso will stay on board as Quinnipiac’s Law School registrar after being sentenced to three years probation for bank fraud and conspiracy, according to Law School Dean Brad Saxton....

“I have conducted a careful review of the situation and continue to have complete confidence in Dean Durso’s ability to perform her duties here responsibly,” Saxton said in the e-mail, sent out to law students, faculty and administration.

Pardon my French, but what the fucking hell. Quinnipiac is running an organization whose sole purpose is to groom future professionals who have to pass a character and fitness test and maintain standards of responsibility. If a lawyer did this, it would be a one-way ticket to disbarment and job loss. There is no forgiveness when a lawyer commits a felony, especially one that requires dishonesty as an element of the crime.

For Quinnipiac not to terminate this woman immediately is hypocritical and absurd. Quinnipiac's students - many of whom have a very hard time finding jobs even if they are ethical saints - may be rejected for character and fitness reasons if they have something as benign as consumer debt. I have no doubt that Quinnipiac would waste no time kicking a student out of school if that student conspired to commit $126,000 worth of fraud. But this administrator not only gets to keep her job, but gets to retain a prestigious title and is left in charge of student enrollment.

Sweet Georgia Brown, this woman belongs in jail, not administering the affairs of a professional school. But then again, I guess maybe conspiring to defraud people may make one more qualified to help run a law school given the creative accounting used to keep luring in federally-backed loan dollars.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quinnicrapsack is my hubby's alma mater. I think I posted this on nando's blog, but this Dean, very slimy character. No doubt there. The school is a trash hole in the middle of nowhere north New Haven. There aren't even people living in that area. I still, even now, contemplate the purpose of that school. Why? When you have Uconn AND Yale less than 10 miles away?

    Anyways, they got a bunch of fmr alums up there for some legal ed conference but it was really a fundraiser in disguise. I almost laughed myself to tears when they asked us for a "contribution." Yeah, they need new books for the poor unfortunate law students (they just spent 10 million on remodeling like 2 years before that). Rofl. I told them "no" and happily helped myself to the free top shelf booze and refreshments. We discussed the event on ride home. They clearly were hoping to get people drunk enough to write checks. It didn't work on us but I'm sure there were some light weights there who caved. It was honestly like a timeshare presentation with all the pressure and guilt. All they were missing was abused animals and starving children to parade around. Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, a high pressure-tactics fundraiser disguised as a legal education conference?? Convicted felons on the payroll?? Have these law schools no shame??

    ReplyDelete