Friday, February 18, 2011

On Malcom Gladwell's Law School Rankings

Smug intellectual Malcom Gladwell has come with his own law school rankings:
Gladwell, relying partly on a ranking tool devised by Indiana Law professor Jeffrey Stake, takes a stab at ranking law schools based on 3 factors: the value for the dollar (40%); LSAT scores (40%); and faculty publishing (20%).
As I've previously pointed out, such an approach is 60% hopelessly dim-witted. But he gets kudos for at least attempted to factor in investment principles, although I have no idea how he computed "value" and he's hardly the first person to suggest we should be looking at tuition amounts.

He's still wrong (Faculty publishing? Really?), he's just not as wrong as the US News and World Report.

1 comment:

  1. I've been reading that Gladwell's rankings were meant to illustrate the flaws of U.S. News's. The problem with all these rankings (except yours) is that everyone's a winner and none are failures.

    ReplyDelete