I do, however, find this part curious:
Okay, Dean Yellen, explain this, from your "2010-11 Loyola Fact Sheet":David N. Yellen, dean of Loyola University Chicago School of Law and chair of the ABA subcommittee that considers what consumer information law schools should be required to report, tells the Law Bulletin that law schools need to be more transparent about job prospects.
"I believe the time has come to mandate that law schools publicly disclose more information about job outcomes," Yellen is quoted saying.
So... you had survey responses from 100% of your graduates, but 47% omitted their salary information and you still felt it conscionable to advertise that the median salary for "ALL GRADUATES" was $100,000? Seriously? Did you factor in that 9% of students who were unemployed at 9 months as people making $0.00, or were they "unreported?"And what about this:
If you're going to use pie charts, isn't it disingenuous -if we're talking about "job outcomes" - to omit the 9% of unemployed students? Isn't it disingenuous to publish a "private practice" chart that only advertises 1.5% in solo practice since many in that 9% unemployed group are, by default, now private practitioners?A casual glance at these charts would make one think 13% of Loyola graduates went into 501+-attorney firms, also known as BigLaw, who pay those mythical $160k salaries. On the contrary, 13% of 51% of 91% (also known as around 6%) went into BigLaw. At least at my law school, justified or not, there is a rather large drop in student quality and job prospects between the 94th percentile and the 87th.
So Dean Yellen, if the time has come to disclose more information (side note: if it's the right thing to do, why was it not the right thing to do 5 years ago?), why are Loyola's most recent statistics so manipulative?

Great analysis. I wish I had this info when I profiled this dump on my blog several months ago. I also noticed that schools do not count the unemployed students' salaries of $0.00 when reaching their median or average starting salary. They simply concoct these figures. People understand that successful grads are MUCH more likely to report their job status and income than those who did not.
ReplyDelete